DeLand Family Law & Criminal Defense Attorneys
Three Decades of Collective Legal Experience Handling Cases in DeLand, Daytona Beach & West Volusia, FL

Support Unconnected with Dissolution of Marriage - A Solution for Separated Couples?

When a couple makes the decision to live separately, but still remain married, there are numerous issues which will need to be resolved and various agreements that should be established so as to allow for an amenable separation. Our state does not recognize or permit legal separation. This does not mean that a couple cannot be separated, it simply means they will have to avail themselves of other solutions.

The attorneys at Buckmaster & Ellzey are extremely familiar with the divorce process and the alternatives to a legal separation. We take pride in having helped countless individuals negotiate the terms of their separation agreements, draft postnuptial agreements in the event that their separation will end in divorce and assist the preparation and filing of a "Petition for Support Unconnected with Dissolution of Marriage." As most alimony and child support payments are approved by a judge during divorce proceedings, the petition for support allows one spouse in the separated couple to receive alimony payments or child support payments from the spouse who has temporarily vacated the marital residence. This can be accomplished without having to file for divorce.

If you and your spouse have separated and you need legal assistance to help you obtain support unconnected with dissolution of marriage, our firm can help. We will be able to analyze your current situation and needs, answer any questions you may have, help you gather and prepare the necessary documentation and assisting you in filing for support. Should there be any arguments or objections as to the details of your petition, rest assured that we will stand by your side to help see that you get the most optimum results from your case. To find out more about how a DeLand family law attorney from our firm can help you, call us today.